Initial Concept | "The Chimneys," built 1902-1914 for Gardiner Martin Lane and Emma Gildersleeve Lane on 28 acres, was designed by the Olmsted Brothers under the guidance of Frederick Law Olmsted Jr. and his associate Edward C. Whiting. The firm designed the entrance and forecourt, sited all major structures, articulated the house's primary views, and created a series of formal terraced gardens. Pressley Associates was asked to complete restoration plans for the gardens using original plans, photo documentation by the Olmsted firm, and photos from the Society for the Preservation of New England Antiquities archives now Historic New England.
Lasting Impact | The restored grounds closely follow the Olmsted completed design, retaining all major structures and features. The only deviation occurs in the choice of some plant material due to maintenance feasibility, availability, and the client's color preference. The new species clearly achieved Olmsted Jr.'s design intent. "The Chimneys" received the Boston Society of Landscape Architects Award for Historic Preservation & Restoration.